American Academy of Ophthalmology
Contact details for American Academy of Ophthalmology
Name: American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) Address: P.O. Box 7424 San Francisco California 94120-7424 United States Telephone: 415 561 8500 Fax: 415 561 8533 Website: www.aao.org
About American Academy of Ophthalmology - AAO
Eye M.D.'s are ophthalmologists, medical doctors who provide comprehensive eye care, including medical, surgical and optical care.
The American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) is the largest national membership association of Eye M.D.'s with more than 90 percent of practicing U.S. Eye M.D.'s Academy members. The AAO also has more than 7,000 international members.
The American Academy of Ophthalmology mission is to:
- advance lifelong learning and professional interests of ophthalmologists
- ensure that the public can obtain the best possible eye care
American Academy of Ophthalmology Primary Activities:
- Education - includes the Annual meeting, a 4 day event in which scientific papers, symposia, training, poster and exhibits are featured. The Academy also offers a range of education materials (books, tapes, CD-ROMs). The Academy is the largest provider of eye care information to the public in the United States.
- Eye Care Information - the Academy raises awareness and promotes improved eye health and safety
- Advocacy - The Academy's Government Affairs Division in Washington, D.C., represents ophthalmologists and their patients before federal and state policy makers
- Ophthalmic Practice - the Academy offers a variety of managed care and practice management programs to assist its members in responding to the increasing socioeconomic demands placed on the ophthalmologist.
- Quality of Care - members of the American Academy of Ophthalmology are committed to providing patients with the highest possible quality of eye care
- EyeCare America - a public service program of the Foundation of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Their mission is to reduce avoidable blindness and severe visual impairment by raising awareness about eye disease and care, providing free eye health educational materials and facilitating access to medical eye care.