Endometriosis Awareness Week 2014
Wed 5th Mar - Tue 11th Mar 2014
This Event Begins In 287 Days Time
Endometriosis Week aims to raise awareness about this hidden and often unrecognized condition. Aims of Endometriosis Week include:
- promoting - a greater awareness & understanding of endometriosis as a real, debilitating and disabling disease
- highlighting - the consequences of living with endometriosis for the sufferer, carer and all those affected by the disease
- creating - a greater awareness and understanding of endometriosis amongst the medical profession, education sector, employers, politicians and society in general
- seeking - a best practice and consistent care and treatment for everyone wherever they may live
- providing - an opportunity for those whose lives have been affected by endometriosis to play an active part in helping making a difference
Endometriosis Awareness Week Details
||5th March -
11th March 2014
|Days To Event
|How Is Date Set?
||Set each year
||2013 not yet confirmed
What Is Endometriosis?
Endometriosis affects women and occurs when tissue, similar to the lining of the womb (uterus) grows in other areas of the body. This tissue grows mainly in the abdominal cavity (see diagram).
The tissue is linked to the woman’s hormonal cycle. However, unlike a period, the tissue remains within the body and bleeds forming adhesions (scar tissue), lesions and blood-filled cysts.
Symptoms of endometriosis include:
- suppressed immune system
Determined on a case by case basis, treatments for endometriosis include:
- drug therapy
- hormonal treatments
- surgical removal