Benefits Of Saw Palmetto
Please note, there is currently not enough scientific evidence to fully support the claims of saw palmetto benefits listed below.
However, saw palmetto may still be of benefit to users - more research is required.
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) & Saw Palmetto
BPH is a condition in which the prostate gland becomes enlarged.
The extract of saw palmetto berries may help to maintain a healthy prostate gland.
Saw palmetto is the most widely used herbal treatment for the symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia . As a condition, benign prostatic hyperplasia can cause lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS).
LUTS Symptoms Include:
- problems when the bladder is emptied
- increased frequency of urination
- increased urge to urinate
Early research into the effects of saw palmetto extract supplements on BPH seemed promising suggesting improvements in LUTS symptoms .
However, a later review of 9 trials of saw palmetto extract on BPH found it gave results no better than placebo . The authors of the review concluded that better designed, placebo controlled, double blind studies of a longer duration are required to confirm the effectiveness of saw palmetto extracts as a treatment for BPH.
To date, there have been few long term, high quality studies of saw palmetto. More research is needed.
Other Claimed Uses & Benefits Of Saw Palmetto Which Require Further Study Include:
- Helps Urinary Tract Problems – e.g. bladder disorders
- Anti-inflammatory Properties
- May Increase Sex Drive Raising Libido
- Chronic Pelvic Pain
- Helps Restore Hormone Imbalance
Gender Specific Claimed Benefits Of Saw Palmetto
Saw palmetto and hair loss - saw palmetto may prevent or reduce hair loss in men. Saw palmetto may reduce some of the effects of testosterone which in turn reduces hair loss. There is no conclusive supporting evidence to date.
Saw Palmetto & The Prostate Gland - saw palmetto may educe an enlarged prostate gland and reduce bladder inflammation
Saw Palmetto & Impotence - saw palmetto may help with impotence, increasing the number of successful erections of the penis
Saw Palmetto In Females
- Hormones - saw palmetto may help to balance the hormones
- Breasts - saw palmetto may increase breast tissue (this could also occur in males)
- Libido In Women - saw palmetto may increase libido in women and reduce frigidity
- Lactation - saw palmetto may stimulate lactation (the production of breast milk)
- As An Aphrodisica - saw palmetto when combined with another herb Damiana, may act as an aphrodisiac
- Saw palmetto may also reduce irritability in the ovaries and uterus