Benefits of Rhodiola Rosea
The roots of this plant contain a number of compounds which are thought to bring a number of health benefits.
Rhodiola rosea has been used for centuries by Siberians to ward off the stresses and strains from the cold, and typically harsh, environment from where this plant is found.
It has also been used by the Chinese in traditional Chinese medicine where Rhodiola rosea is known as 'Hong Jing Tian'.
Rhodiola rosea is an adaptogen; a natural product which can increase resistance to biological, chemical, emotional and physical stress.
As an adaptogen, it is thought to affect multiple systems throughout the body.
Rhodiola rosea promotes an overall feeling of well being; reducing stress and increasing energy and mental alertness.
There is little scientific research into the effectiveness of Rhodiola Rosea as a treatment.
However, Rhodiola rosea is thought to have many benefits:
- Antidepressant Qualities – through stimulating the activity of certain neurotransmitters, of which low levels are linked to depression. These include:
- Improves Physical Performance  - in Russia, cosmonauts and athletes have used Rhodiola rosea to increase performance.
- Reduces fatigue and stress
- Improves Mental Performance [1,2] – improved concentration and memory performance has been reported
- Improves sleep – Rhodiola rosea may also be used as a sleep aid, improving the quality of sleep
- Boosts testosterone levels – Rhodiola rosea may boost levels of testosterone. Taken as a supplement, Rhodiola rosea is becoming increasingly popular with body builders.
Due to limited research it is not fully understood how these claimed benefits of Rhodiola rosea arise.