Phosphatidylserine supplements are usually sold in the form of:
- softgel capsules
As with many commercially available health supplements, an official recommended daily dosage value has not been set. Dosage varies slightly between different brands of phosphatidylserine supplements.
A study has shown that for treating post exercise stress, a daily dose of 400mg Soy-PS is effective .
As a guide to phosphatidylserine dosage, listed below are the recommended doses from some leading brands of phosphatidylserine supplements:
- Source Naturals Phosphatidyl Serine 100 Tablets: one 500mg tablet once daily.
- MyProtein.co.uk Phosphatidyl Serine Powder: 300mg once daily with food
- Neuro-PS 100mg: one softgel 3 times a day
- Health Resources PS: one softgel 3 times a day
- Swanson Ultra 100mg: one softgel 1 to 3 times a day
Phosphatidylserine Side Effects
Possible side effects of phosphatidylserine supplements may include:
- gastrointestinal disturbance / upset stomach
At brand recommended doses (see phosphatidylserine dosage above), phosphatidylserine is usually well tolerated with limited side effects.
Phosphatidylserine Safety, Risks & Dangers
Initially, many phosphatidylserine supplements were bovine based. As a consequence of the 1990's outbreak of BSE (aka Mad Cows Disease), practically all phosphatidylserine supplements are now soy based to eliminate infection transmission.
There have been no reports from over dosage of phosphatidylserine; oral supplements are safe to take. One study looked at the effects of soy based phosphatidylserine supplements on the elderly . The study found that a dosage of 200mg taken 3 times a day was safe.
Phosphatidylserine Reviews & Testimonials
Phosphatidylserine supplements are generally well received by those who buy and use them. There can be considerable variation in price between different suppliers and we recommend shopping around before buying.
In some circumstances it may be much cheaper to buy phosphatidylserine supplements in powdered form. However, as dosage is usually low, precision digital scales may be required for accurate measurement of phosphatidylserine powder.
A scan of popular health supplement websites and forums, feature many positive comments towards phosphatidylserine supplements
Notable positive comments towards phosphatidylserine include:
- 'keeps me sharp'
- 'worth the price wouldn't be without it'
- 'without it I am not as bright and positive'
- 'excellent for memory stamina'
- 'feelings of well being dissipated after we stopped using it. We won't be without it again'
- 'best brain food I have used, beats Ginkgo Biloba'
- 'memory deteriorated once bottle was finished so ordered more'
In balance, negative comments about phosphatidylserine supplements are few and far between. A few users found no noticeable effects.
It should also be noted that in many cases, users have recommended this supplement to their friends and family.